Smartphones provide a toolbox for easy access to tools to help you on your weight journey. New applications are always appearing. Try out several different types of applications to see which one works best for you.
Calorie Tracking Applications
- My Simple Calorie Counter: A very simple calorie counter that is an installable web app. Simply add to your phone's home screen, enter your weight, your goal daily calories, and enter the estimated calories for your meals!
- MyFitnessPal (Android) (iPhone): MyFitnessPal is a calorie tracker with a massive food database, barcode scanner, and recipe importer. This makes tracking calories very easy. It also can provide social support in the app.
- LoseIt! (Android) (iPhone): LoseIt is another calorie tracker with a large food database and barcode scanning. It has a feature to track food by taking a photo of it.
- FatSecret (Android) (iPhone): FatSecret harnesses the power of social support in weight management. It is a calorie tracker and weight monitor that enables you to interact with others through a chat feature. There are groups you can join with similar goals. It also has a journal to record notes from your weight journey. This app also has a tool where you can share your food, exercise, and weight data with your doctor.
Stress and Anxiety Applications:
- Pacifica (Android) (iPhone): Pacifica enables you to track your daily activities, and then identify things that trigger stress and anxiety. After identifying what triggers your stress and anxiety, you can then address them and work to eliminate them. It uses cognitive behavioral therapy to help address stress and anxiety.
- Rootd (Android) (iPhone): Rootd provides mindfulness exercises and step-by-step guides to techniques like diaphragmatic breathing. It is helpful for anxiety and panic attacks. The app has a personal statistics section to encourage you as it shows how many panic attacks you have overcome and lessons completed. There is also an emergency contact button to easily call someone when in distress.
- Breathe2Relax (Android) (iPhone): Breathe2Relax is an app created by the Department of Defense's Center for Telehealth and Technology to help soldiers learn breathing techniques to relieve stress and anxiety. It helps you learn to perform diaphragmatic breathing and control your breathing.
- Stop, Breathe & Think (Android) (iPhone): Stop, Breathe, and Think is a mindfulness app that begins with you selecting your mood. From this, it will suggest what might work best for you at the moment from modalities such as deep breathing to visualizations. It tracks your moods and progress which helps you understand your stress and anxiety better.
- Headspace (Android) (iPhone): Headspace is a meditation app that uses gamification in its experience. It guides you through a variety of meditations and teaches you the basics.
- Calm (Android) (iPhone): Calm provides guided meditations for all levels. It also has relaxation sounds which can even help put you to sleep.
- Breathly (Android) (iPhone): Breathly provides daily relaxation and breath training: just choose a breathing technique and focus on the guided exercise.
- Sleep Cycle (Android) (iPhone): Sleep cycle is an app that wakes you up during your lightest sleep stage. When you wake up in the middle of deep sleep, you feel groggy and disoriented. This app avoids that by waking you up outside of that timeframe.
- Sleep Time (Android) (iPhone): Sleep time is an app that works by you placing it on your bed so it can track your sleep time and cycles. It can help you find trends in your sleep so you can have restful and restorative sleep
- Relax Melodies (Android) (iPhone): Relax melodies has a large library of relaxation sounds. It also provides guided meditations and sleep meditations.
Real-life Social Applications
- MeetUp (Android) (iPhone): Find local support groups and activities to participate in. This app helps you find other people with the same struggles, goals, and interests. There are MeetUp groups for weight loss, specific diets (like keto groups), and exercise (like walking, running, or cycling groups).
Control your Social Media Applications
- Moment (Android) (iPhone): Moment is a screen time tracker to help you analyze how much time you are using on your phone and what apps consume your attention.
- Space (Android) (iPhone): Space is an app to help you understand your phone usage habits and allows you to set goals to break free from smartphone addiction.
- Offtime (Android) (iPhone): Offtime provides a way to track and customize your connectivity so you can free yourself from your phone. It provides insights into your phone use and a way to block calls, texts, and notifications as desired. It also can help you set personal restrictions on apps and the Internet.
- Forest (Android) (iPhone): Forest is a gamified timer to help you focus on things outside of your smartphone. Plant a seed by putting your phone down and as time goes by, the seed grows into a tree.